It seems like it is still the middle of summer, but reality is about to hit… school starts in two weeks!!! Starting school can be a very stressful time for parents, as well as for our kids. Here’s a quick list of ways to help them (and you) start off the school year well!
- Make a list of things for you child to do- he/she can have responsibility in getting ready!
- If your child(ren) are stressing about school, or starting a new school- give them as much info as you have, drive by the school (go in if you’re able), have them visualize their first day.
- Make appointment to see a counselor / doctor ASAP… we gets very busy this time of year!
- Be your kids self talk- be over-the-top with how positive you are with them and how well they will do.
- Develop a reward system for them to be encouraged to do well, have them help develop this. (not usually good for kids that have experienced trauma)
- Talk about expectations!
- Make a list of coping skills to use, if they struggle with depression, ADHD, or anxiety.
Have any other ideas? Or you excited for the school year?